Here’s how this OTC FDA-registered topical anesthetic caters to your client’s safety and discomfort:
Let’s face it – Client safety and comfort are cardinal for a cosmetologist and an esthetician. Every year, more than 13 million non-surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures are performed in the US, as reported by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Minimally invasive procedures, such as Botox and filler injections, laser resurfacing, micro-needling, and laser hair and tattoo removal, are associated with mild to moderate discomfort. However, the growing demand for these procedures necessitates opting for strong yet safe topical analgesics.
That’s where BLT numbing creams come in.
BLT numbing creams are topical anesthetics consisting of benzocaine, lidocaine, and tetracaine as local analgesics for mild pain control. In cosmetic settings, topical anesthetics are widely used to alleviate pain and minimize discomfort associated with procedures like filler injectables, laser hair removal, skin resurfacing with laser and light-based devices.
How are BLT numbing cream sachets different from prescription forms?
BLT numbing cream packets provide the best over-the-counter numbing cream for minimizing pain and discomfort associated with cosmetic and esthetic procedures. Unlike compounded preparations that constitute all three anesthetics in one preparation, BLT numbing cream sachets have one active ingredient in each sachet. The esthetician can empty the contents of each sachet of Benzocaine, Lidocaine, and Tetracaine, and mix them before use.
Because of the safety regulations, the active ingredients in the over-the-counter BLT numbing cream sachets must not exceed the maximum allowable strength, which is as follows:
- Benzocaine 20%
- Lidocaine 4%
- Tetracaine 2%
Selecting the Best Over the Counter Numbing Cream
Buying an over-the-counter medicinal product can be challenging because of the risks associated with patient safety and critical dosing instructions. Since the FDA does not regulate OTC medications, the following are questions you should consider for patient safety:
- Does the product follow guidelines for non-prescription products?
- Is the product manufactured in compliance with FDA regulations?
- Is the manufacturing facility that makes the product registered with the FDA?
- Is the product manufactured and packed hygienically at all stages?
- Is the consistency of each cream smooth and thick enough for easy application and retention?
Formulated by a team of accomplished pharmacists, Centura Pharmaceuticals BLT Numbing Cream is an FDA-registered product primarily designed for dermatologists, estheticians, and cosmetologists in clinics, offices, and spa centers. The numbing creams come in the following hygienic sachets with a maximum allowable
strength for each active ingredient:
- BLT1 contains maximum strength Benzocaine 20% in a 5ml sachet
- BLT2 contains maximum strength Lidocaine 4% in 5ml sachet
- BLT 3 contains maximum strength Tetracaine 2% in 5ml sachet
How Centura BLT Numbing Creams Work?
The smooth texture and thicker consistency of Centura Pharmaceuticals BLT Cream allows it to adhere to skin for a longer period, thus providing optimum analgesia. When mixed before use, BLT numbing creams provide a maximum analgesic effect on the skin by keeping it numb for up to 30 minutes. This is because each topical anesthetic works through a specific mode of action for a specified time period on your client’s skin.
Benzocaine is a water-insoluble ester that produces anesthetic activity by blocking the initiation and conduction of nerve impulses on the neuronal membrane. Benzocaine has a rapid onset of action of less than one minute and sustains anesthetic response for up to 10
minutes when used at a 20% strength.
Lidocaine produces topical anesthetic action by blocking voltage-gated sodium channels resulting in blockage of action potential. The 4% strength of topical lidocaine formulation can produce anesthesia for up to 30 minutes. However, after application, it takes 20-30 minutes to achieve an optimum anesthetic effect.
Topical tetracaine is a long-acting anesthetic that works by blocking the influx of sodium ion channels, thereby blocking the initiation and conduction of nerve impulses. It is the most potent topical anesthetic and is used in concentrations ranging from 0.2% to 2%. At Centura Pharmaceuticals, BLT3 (tetracaine) numbing cream comes in a 2% strength. It has a maximum duration of action of up to 60 minutes. When combined with BLT1 and BLT2 cream, the combination can provide significant anesthetic action.
The Centura Pharmaceuticals BLT Cream is potentially useful for a wide range of cosmetic and esthetic procedures, including:
- Dermal fillers used on small areas of skin such as hyaluronic acid (Juvederm, Restylane, Belotero Balance, Revanesse Versa)
- Injectable toxins (Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin injections)
- Esthetic facial treatments (chemical peels, laser hair removal, collagen induction therapy, eyebrow microblading, and tattoo removal).
However, care must be taken to ensure it is not used over large areas, broken or damaged skin, and on sensitive areas.
Applications & Instructions
Here is how various professionals have applied BLT numbing cream for their clients:
- The BLT Numbing Cream at Centura Pharmaceuticals comes in 5g sachets for one-time use. When applying the products ensure that the working surface and all brushing and mixing tools are clean and free from contamination.
- Empty the contents of each sachet gradually and mix them thoroughly to ensure even distribution of the pack contents.
- Prep your client’s skin by cleansing it and warming it with a warm towel to facilitate maximum product penetration.
- Massage the areas to be treated with small amounts and then layer the treatment area with a thin film like a face mask. Leave the cream on for 20 minutes for best effect. Always remove the cream prior to treatment.